Mounting instructions for Extreme bearing units with adapter sleeve
Preparations prior to mounting.
- The shaft should be within tolerance as the adapter sleeve could pull the inner race oval.
- Make sure that the shaft is clean and free of any burrs from set screws. If not, remove the burrs with a fine file. We prefer a fine file over emery cloth so that you only take away the high spots without affecting the main shaft tolerance.
- Check if the shaft bearing seat is within tolerance, preferably at three cross sections in the position of the bearing location (3 x 20 mm spacing).
- The shaft tolerance h9, or Ø35 /Ø40= +0,0000 -0,062 mm.
- Measure the cylindricity with micro- meter in 3 locations in the circumference. This tolerance is IT5, meaning max difference 0,011 mm.
- The shaft and should be clean dry and free from grease.
- Clean support surface and make sure it’s free from surface damage.
Take in consideration prior to mounting.
- Each shaft will have a fixed bearing location (mounted first) and a floating location (mounted second). If this type were ever used on a drive shaft, it would be required that the fixed side be the motor drive side. To minimize the risk of future confusion, we strongly recommend the fixed side be the drive side, as depicted below.
- During assembly, the bearing will be displaced axially on the adapter sleeve along the shaft. See Table 4,5.
- There is a total clearance available for thermal expansion that’s equal to the thickness from location ring. Figure 6 The expansion and contraction of material must be considered to be keep the clearance that is required to operate the bearing well.
Extreme Bearing mounting step by step
- We recommend to have the lock ring on the drive side for proper drive position if applicable. To prevent mistakes/future confusion keep all to one side.
- Put some grease on the seal lip.
- Position both bearings on to the shaft and bold the bearing housing to the machine frame.
- Check if the roller is level in the frame is correct .
- Tighten the attachment bolts to the frame.
- We start the clamping procedure on the drive (fixed) side, never two sides at one time!
- Method 1: Position the outer bearing race level with the outside from the bearing house to keep inner bearing clearance after tightening the bearing adaptor sleeve. Figure 6,7
(In case you will become a high accurate axial positioning of the shaft, positon only the bearing of the fixed side as method 2)
Notify you of it, that the shaft length is not longer as shown in table 2. In case you need to mount a long axis, it is necessary to calculate the thermal expansion or contraction and adjust the bearing position to it. (Take in consideration the axial displacement table 4 and 5) A stainless steel shaft of 1 meter will be at 1C degree temperature rise 0.023 mm longer and by cooling shorten. A carbon steel shaft of 1 meter will be at 1C degree temperature rise 0.016 mm longer and by cooling shorten.
Method 2: In case you will become a high accurate axial positioning of the shaft, position only the bearing of the fixed side in the casing. Table 3, Figure 10, 11,12
8. Put some grease on the locknut both thread and front surface
- Lift the shaft a little so that the bearing is unloaded and the adapter sleeve can move freely.
- Place the retaining ring, screw on the nut with its chamfer facing the bearing.Before starting the final tightening procedure, the bearing should be pushed up on the tapered seat until the bearing inner ring cannot be rotated relatively to the shaft. By then turning the nut through the tightening angle a. Figure 13, Table 4 or 5 The bearing will be displace axial (inwards) the tapered seat during tightening. The residual clearance of the roller bearing should be checked, if possible Table 4. It’s allowed to put some extra torque to position the lip from the retaining in front of one of the four grooves from the locknut.
- Use a screwdriver to bend a lip of the retaining ring into the groove from the locknut. Use a hammer and punch to securely lock the lip.
- Finally check if the retaining ring is free from the bearing roller cage or seals. If not, correct with a screwdriver.
- Make sure that the O-ring is mounted properly. Check if the shaft and is not too long in case you want use an closed cover. If you have a bearing for a drive situation, use an open cover with shaft seal. Put some grease on seal lip, and carefully push the cover over the shaft.
Finally tighten the cover with the two attachment bolts. If you have chosen to point 7 for Method 1, the shaft with bearing shall than about one millimetre shift Backwards by mounting the fixed side.
In case your construction demands axial high accurate positioning check the position. If to much displacement, undo steps 7-14, correct the position, and repeat.
- We now need to fill up the bearings with grease. Slowly pump the grease into the bearing unit meanwhile rotate with hand the stop pumping as soon as without air gradually passes the seals. If you pump too fast the trapped air will push the excess grease out off the bearing before they are full.